BETHEL A.M.E CHURCH HISTORY
Formerly known as MT. ZION A.M.E. CHURCH
Mt. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church was the first Negro Methodist Church to be organized in the Village of Westbury. Sometime between the years of 1885 and 1887, fifteen persons, who were members of the New Light Baptist Church (the only Negro Church in Westbury), had occasion to withdraw their membership. The first services were held in a building of Mrs. Ann Carle on Jericho Turnpike above Brush Hollow Road, now known as Union Avenue.
In 1983, under the pastorate of Rev. Rudolph J. Douglas, a new parsonage was erected, and the mortgage was paid off within five years. Under the pastorate of Rev. Carlton Gibson, the 40th pastor of Bethel, an organ and piano were purchased and the sound system in the sanctuary was upgraded.The pastoral leadership at Bethel continued to be one of spiritual fervor, innovative planning and kingdom building with its 41st pastor, the Rev. Marcus De’Angelo Briddell. We were exceedingly glad to commemorate the historic occasion of the Street Name Change on Sunday, October 13, 2013. The name Maple Avenue was officially changed to BETHEL A M E WAY, with the Right Reverend Gregory G.M. Ingram, Presiding Prelate of the First Episcopal District, African Methodist Episcopal Church, officiating. On June 19, 2016 we welcomed the 42nd pastor of Bethel, the Rev. LeRoy Ladson, Jr. June 15, 2019 was a historic day in the life of the Bethel AME Church of Westbury, New York as our 43rd pastor, the Reverend Tamoya Buckley, the first female pastor at Bethel was enthusiastically welcomed by the congregation. Reverend Buckley has proven to be a great woman of God with her spirit filled sermons; the heart, mind and soul based Bible studies and her warm and caring spirit toward the congregation. We anticipate her pastoral service at Bethel to be one of spiritual fervor, reaching the unchurched of the Westbury community and beyond.